top of page


The website for the USDA APHIS linked below is the best place to begin when you are planning the steps in moving your pet overseas with you. You can also get information from your local veterinarian, though their level of knowledge can vary greatly depending on how much experience they have had with this in the past. You should also contact your airline carrier early in the process. Only certain airports are equipped to ship pets internatationally and only specific foreign airports are able to accept pets from overseas. In addition, some airports will only deal with pets in the colder months as extreme heat could be extremely dangerous for caged animals. Finally, be very careful when you are planning your pet's travel to abide by every instruction to the letter. The airline will not hesitate to refuse service if the crate you provide does not meet their specifications, and the USDA will not hesitate to refuse travel to an animal that has not had each procedure done on the exact days that were required.

The United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service handles the import and export of plants and animals, including moving a pet with you overseas. You can find an overview of the process here and specific regulations about animal exports here.

Travelers are not required to use pet relocation services. They can work directly with their veterinarian, the USDA, and the airline to complete all the paperwork and procedures, but it is a complicated process. It could save a great deal of time and stress to work with a pet relocation service for those wanting to move their pet with them.


bottom of page